Home

The Long Island Historical Society, located on Long Island, MAINE, is an organization dedicated to the preservation, research, collection, and displaying of objects of historical significance to the Town of Long Island, the City of Portland, and the neighboring islands in Casco Bay, Maine.  Our exhibits feature the island’s history as it relates to fishing and lobstering; tourism, islanders, their lives and homes; WW I and WW II as they affected Long Island; the efforts of King Resources and Phoenix to establish a major oil storage and transfer terminal serviced by supertankers on the island; secession from the City of Portland, and the incorporation of the Town of Long Island on July 1, 1993.  The Society is a member of Maine Archives & Museums.

Our next meeting June 15 at 11 am in the Community Center.  Mark Greene will share his story of owning the Beach Avenue House.  

The 2024 exhibit is coming!  It will open Sunday June 30 and be open Thursday and Sunday from 1:30 – 4:00 pm until Labor Day.  The theme this year is Solving the Puzzle: Long Island’s 1924 Tax Photos. 

History of the Long Island Historical Society

Although the first attempt to start a historical society on Long Island was in the 1970’s, it wasn’t until the fall of 1995 that the Long Island Historical Society was actually formed.  The Long Island Civic Association board expressed alarm that the island was rapidly losing many members of a generation who had firsthand knowledge of the Island’s early 1900 history.  The first meetings were held in a private home on the island, and by January 1996 the Society had incorporated as a non-profit organization and elected officers. The Chebeague Island Historical Society provided much needed assistance with the mechanics of what it takes to run a society.  An exhibit titles Now and Then was held that summer in the VFW Hall.  While it only lasted 4 hours, it was a huge success, demonstrating a definite interest by the islanders in having a society.  When the Town of Long Island purchased the Community Building at Mariner’s Wharf, space was allocated to the Society for a museum.    An Archives Room in the basement of the Long Island Learning Center  provides stable temperature-controlled storage for the growing collection of artifacts.  Thanks to several grants the society was able to purchase state-of-the-art computers and equipment to safely record and store the many objects in the collection.   In 2017, the Society moved into it’s brand-new exhibit space in the new Long Island Community Center at Mariner’s Wharf.  The Society has mounted summer exhibits, lectures and field trips, and hosted visiting groups and families interested in  researching their family’s presence on the island.  

We welcome inquiries into our collection. If you have items you feel might be of interest to Long Islanders, please contact us at longislandhistory@hotmail.com  attention the Collections Committee.

2023 OFFICERS:  
President: Karen Rea
Vice-President: Sandra Glynn
Treasurer: Nancy Berges
Recording Secretary: Diana Hutchinson
Corresponding Secretary: Linda Greene
Trustees: John Davis, Deborah Fuller, Pierre Avignon[pdf-embedder 

HEADER PHOTO CREDIT: Postcard donated by Beth Marchak

 

You cannot copy content of this page